Menar Jonban or Monar Jonban or the Shaking Minarets is one of the most interesting monument in Isfahan, Iran. This wonderful structure attracts many visitors from all over the world to Isfahan.
This structure was constructed to cover the tomb of Amu Abdollah Karladani (or Amu Abdollah Soqla), a hermit of 14th century. What makes this building a wonder is the fact that the minarets on top of this building would shake side to side for up to a 10 inches to each side, and it would also shake the second minaret at the same pace. But the fact that the viewer hardly notice is that the whole building vibrates not only the two minarets.
The distribution of weight, height to width ration of the minarets, minarets dimensions to the iwan's ratio all were carefully calculated and are essential to the shaking of the minarets.
This coupled oscillation can be observed from meters away at the ground level. Unfortunately there has been damages to this structure that has resulted in the disconnection of the shaking mechanism. The two minarets no longer shake at the same time. Many believe this is due to the long, aggressive shakes the towers endure during the high seasons of tourists visit. Some believe the main damage was done when the British archaeologist tried to find out the mechanism behind the swinging of the structure.
The style of this monuments architecture is Mongolian and as it was mentioned earlier, the scientific reason of the vibration of the two tower is explained by the resonance phenomenon. Now you might ask yourself why the building did not destroyed due to its constant shake! The answers is that there are two deep vertical grooves in each tower that allow it to freely swing from side to side while preventing them from collapsing. Moreover, the star patterned tileworks on the minarets accentuates the beauty of the monument.
The iwan and porch were probably built shortly after 1316 as a shrine for Amu Abdollah, a hermit buried here. The brick minarets were constructed later, and are probably from Safavid era (c. 15th—17th centuries).The iwan is 10 metres (33 ft) high and 10 metres (33 ft) in width, the minarets are about 18 metres tall and are 4 metres (13 ft) in circumference. The roof above the shrine contains some skilled brickwork. The ceiling is also covered with some indigo turquoise tileworks. This monument was registered in national heritage list in 1942 and is recognized by the code 349.